Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Dude Ninja

Some people may underestimate the sneakiness of The Dude. I am not one of these people. I have woken up enough mornings to find him laying sound asleep in my bed to know he knows the arts of the stealthy ones. But every now and then I'll actually be awake when he makes his attempt. And if I'm smart I'll still pretend to be asleep so I can watch the show. Last night was one of those nights. It was closing in on 3 A.M. and I was having trouble falling asleep. Slowly and sweetly, my bedroom door starts to open. It wasn't a surprise as only a few seconds earlier I heard his bedroom door open and then close. See? He leaves no trace. He timidly takes a step into my room. I lay still pretending to be asleep as he surveys the room and the takes in the situational details. Another step toward my bed. Then stops. I don't move. Two steps. Stops. Now I close my eyes a little more so he thinks they're completely shut. He climbs the side of my bed and uses his hands to guide himself over my legs and onto "his" side of the bed. He rearranges the pillow, pulls the blanket up over himself and rolls over. I smile. After a minute I work up the courage, "Goodnight, Dude." One second. Two seconds. "Nigh, Da."

No comments:

Post a Comment