Thursday, May 23, 2013

Dream Job? That Depends.

One of my favorite songs has been Theory of a Deadman's "Hate My Life". In this lovely light-hearted ballad, they list a bunch of things they don't like in life. But one thing I can't agree with them on is my job. I don't hate my job. I also didn't hate my last job where I spent six years. I didn't even hate the job before that! I know I'll never do my dream job and that's ok. It's daily  description is pretty unique:
A. Run the early morning route as a garbageman.
B. Call an afternoon Dodger games alongside Vin Scully.
B. Put on an early evening Comedy Show.
C. Crime fight and be a superhero to children and the handicapped by night.
Figuring I've got the Dude at home with me for 15 more years and all the promised Daddy-Daughter dates with Bubble Toes, I just don't have the time, and by the time I DO Vin might be retired (please, no!). Where was I? Oh right. But I'm ok with the job I have now. In fact they treat me pretty decent.
So.... I threw my back out last night.
-What's that Davey? But you're only 34! You're too young to have back problems.
-Ha! Thanks, but no. Seriously. I'm too good looking to have back problems.
Anyway, in order to drag myself to work today, I got dressed laying on my back on the floor. Attempted every awkward position known to man to get hygienically ready. Crawled up the stairs to go outside and somehow managed entry into my car. I'm sure by the time I got to work I didn't look like my normal nearly-male-model self. And look what they did! I've had already a handful of people help me out.
Two walked with me from the parking lot when they saw me struggling to walk.
One brought me a breakfast sandwich, a drink and drugs.
One brought me ketchup for my breakfast sandwich.
One helped me do some stretches and brought me more drugs.
One ran to the store and bought me icy hot patches.
One put the icy-hot patch on my lower back for me.
Hate my job? No. Especially not today. But even more especially not as long as I get to keep working with people like this. Can you feel the love?

No comments:

Post a Comment